KINDNESS PERSEVERANCE SUCCESS
|Learning Gems Gem PowerLearning Gems|
Learning GEMS are used to promote positive learning behaviours.
Learning Gems are used at Kingsway Primary School to support the children in becoming effective learners “learning for today, inspiring for tomorrow.” This approach seeks to improve specific learning behaviours whilst enabling the children to recognise and develop key life skills. Each gem focuses on a specific learning behaviour and these are introduced to the children to enhance their readiness to learn. The six ‘gem powers’ we highlight to the children are; Diamond (independent thinking), Sapphire (keeping focus), Amethyst (being courageous), Ruby (supporting others), Topaz (collaboration) and Emerald (cooperation).
For more information click on Gem Project Introduction
Diamond…….being responsible…Independent Thought
- tried to solve his/her own problem rather than relying on an adult
- used their learning ‘toolkit’ (different strategies they have been taught) to identify what they needed to do when they were stuck.
- used their talk partners/teachers to ask good questions to help move their learning on.
- Keeps on task even though there are lots of distractions
- Keeps listening to others (teacher and others in the class) even when there are distractions
Amethyst…..being courageous and sticking with it even when it gets tough
- Brave enough to ‘have a go’ with their learning even though they know they might make a mistake.
- comfortable to make mistakes as they know these help them to learn.
- learn from their mistake and ‘bounce back’, they stick with it
- remain calm even though they have been upset or angry
- Gives support to others by listening to them and smiling at them
- Praises others when they do well
- Helps others when they have a problem
Topaz ……collaboration…learning in a big group
- Shared at least one idea with the whole group
- taken turns to share ideas
- asked different questions in their group to make sure that they have known that their idea is in everyone’s heads.
Emerald …cooperation….learning with a partner
- shared ideas with their partner talking and listening skills.
- take in turns to listen and then share what they thought.
- added new idea to their old ones
Gem Power Gem Power